Friday, February 24, 2012

#Mompreneur Balance with @TNY_Photogrpahy

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”  ~ Albert Einstein

Motherhood is a full time job and we - mompreneurs - are trying to have it all: a beautiful family, a thriving business, and a well-balanced life. There is no perfect  balance between managing   your  small business and your family at home.

What might  work for me, my family and my business might not be achievable for you. Mind you sometimes it is not achievable for me  either. I think we need to think of the word flexibility as mompreneurs.

I felt an enormous amount of guilt spending time on my business . I  felt that I was stealing time from my son who is at home with me. My daughter is in Gr 2 now, so life is a bit easier than having 2 of them at home.

"Just-one-more-phone-call-honey-and-mommy-will-be-right-there."   "Just-one-more-email-honey-and-mommy-will-be-right-there."

Sound familiar? Nothing is more important than  being with my children- that is why I chose to stay home.  Listen to your  children. Remember why you chose to work from home or start your  own business:  because you still wanted to be able to spend time with  your kids. So do it! That email can be sent once they are in bed.

Once a week my son is in daycare and I also get help once a week from my father in law. That is the perfect time to get some work done whether it  is sending out emails, marketing my business , or   talking to a new  client.

I am very lucky to say that my husband is a great support system in my life and my business. I am lucky to know that when I need him to help, he would  take the kids out for the day so I can get that   Saturday morning photo session done, or make dinner for the kids (well take them out for  dinner) when I have an afternoon appointment.

I take time to register with my son in activities during the day and  have play dates. I recently started doing exercise again - it is great for keeping me sane and getting me out the the house, taking a    break from the computer/work. I am able to spend time with my family  and friends. 

It is exhausting sometimes. Most of the time,  it seems a constant go go go...but it is all worth it. I love what I    do. I love my family. I am not sure I found balance....the scale  sometimes tips on the left side sometimes on the right side.  Being    flexible and not afraid to ask for help has saved me on many    occasions. And I must say it is amazing to work with other mompreneurs because they can all relate to what we are trying to balance, harmonize, juggle.

So here is a few tips that I try to live by in my life:

1. Listen to your children
2. Prioritize, plan, have a family calender where you share schedules and appointments with your spouse
3. Get support from family and friends.  Stop trying to be a super mom-have grandparents come visit during the week, ask your husband to take kids to after school activities etc., arrange play dates for your kids.
4. Take time off for yourself and for your family
5. Set a realistic schedule - work around nap times and bed times. Take  mini-breaks if you have to work when the kids are at home with you. Be flexible.
6: Separate Your Office From Your Home . If you have a hard time breaking free from your work responsibilities set aside an area of  your home just for work.
7. Double up on activities. Get a hands-free mike for your cell  phone so you can return calls while driving or walking.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Tunde Nyarfadi is the owner of TNy Photography. She is an on   location natural light photographer, specializes in maternity,  newborn, family and children's portraits and head shots for small   businesses.
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/TNyPhotography
Twitter: @Tny_Photography
E-mail: tnyphotography@hotmail.com
Website: www.tnyphotography.ca
Tel: 416-659-3272

2 comments:

  1. Great post Tunde! - Learning to balance all aspects in your life is a MUST. I don't have kids but I have a 'dog' whom it is like my kid. My days pass by between attending our clients, taking my hot-yoga class, having dinner ready, managing Facebook & twitter, looking after the house, connecting with people, reading, volunteering, blogging and more.

    I would not be able to do this without my hubby's help. Whom is right now "calling me" to watch a movie with him. - So before I go, YES have a plan, a schedule and stick to it! Accept that not everything can be done at once and take advantage of many 'gadgets' that were made to make our life easier! - Evelyn (www.Tail-Waggers.ca)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Life is always super busy no matter if you have real babes or fur babes. We all have our own balance or try to have it - and in my life I rely a lot on my husband.

    ReplyDelete