Monday, February 6, 2012

@karynclimans Difficult to Achieve Momprenuer Balance

Balance: Difficult to Achieve

Recently, I was asked how I’ve managed to achieve balance in my life and do you know what my answer was … Balance? What balance?

It’s almost 9:00 pm and I am finally responding to the numerous business emails that arrived in my inbox today, which I wasn’t able to reply to earlier because I was busy filling customer orders, buying new fabrics and applying for various marketplace events. My husband is working on his 2nd job - a consulting job for an international client. He has a full-time job during the day. I would love to pretend that I have achieved balance in my life but as a business owner (who doesn’t have the luxury of additional staff), work never seems to end. If customers are calling and ordering your product, you can’t brush them aside. When work is “finished”, there’s grocery shopping and cooking to do and, of course, the dogs need to be walked. You would think the work/life balance would be easier to achieve now that both of my sons are away at university but it’s not.

I certainly don’t want to give the impression that it’s all work and no play. I definitely make time for my friends on a regular basis and I’m a member of a fabulous book club that meets once a month. As well, I work out with a personal trainer twice a week in order to keep myself in reasonable shape. My husband and I also make it a priority to schedule a date night at least once a week now that we are empty nesters.

Would you describe the above as a balanced lifestyle? I call it hectic. Of course, there’s always more I’d like to accomplish and squeeze in to my schedule but I find my work rewarding. I genuinely LOVE what I do and I’d choose my situation any day over a 9 to 5 pm job I hated! Besides how many of us have jobs and family lives that are balanced these days? I often hear parents describe their daily schedules as stressful. There’s not much leisure time left after juggling the kids, after school programs, homework, long hours at work, a lengthy commute to and from work, and household related chores.

If any one has any suggestions for finding greater balance in their lives, I’d love to hear from you. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to juggle the many aspects of my life that keep me busy and stimulated.




Karyn Climans is the owner and creator of Tail Wags Helmet Covers, www.tail-wags.com. Established in 2006, Tail Wags is a Toronto-based business which designs and manufactures helmet covers of the finest workmanship and quality, and is devoted to encouraging more kids and adults to wear their safety helmets. Tail Wags helmet covers fit ALL makes and models of bike, skate, ski, snowboard, toboggan, and equestrian helmets. With over 40 adorable designs, there’s bound to be the perfect look for every member of your family and friends.
 
Tail Wags recently launched a “Mothers Against Naked Riding” campaign designed to encourage children and teens to “bucket their brain”. A central feature of our campaign is “The Naked Rider” video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF-FfYKrgGk&feature=g-all-fbc&context=G2008551FAAAAAAAAMAA

For more information, please visit our facebook site at www.facebook.com/tailwagshelmetcovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment